Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Smoked Salmon with Creme Fraiche and Pork Shoulder with Potatoes

Before we departed for brunch I put together a pork shoulder and sauce and threw it in the oven for a day of slow cooking. M.'s mother watched over the active stove and puppies while we were gone. No homes or dogs were hurt in this slow roast. Eventually we got back, and I think M. and I may have played Scrabble. I mean, I know we did. I beat her. Twice. Then, as M. was preparing snacks I asked her to time me as I ran around their house and yard. My time was 59 seconds. Then M. decided she wanted to give it a shot. Her time was 54 seconds. Then A. got in on the action. I believe his time was 49 seconds. M. and I each did it again, both improving our times. Running around things is hard but kind of fun. It's almost enough to make me wonder if my position on running is quite as reasonable as I usually think it is. Hm.
Eventually the meat was ready, so we ate it along with kale and couscous. Mr. Ass arrived in the midst of dinner and he had some too. This is, by far, one of the most successful meals I make for people, they are always quite complimentary to me and yet it is so ridiculously easy that they'll be making it just as good themselves in no time. My glory is fleeting. So true.
The potatoes just sat in the pan with a few mushrooms and soaked up the tomato,garlic fatty goodness for hours and hours. De-lic-ious.

No comments: