Sunday, September 05, 2010

Glorious Respite, Complete with Swedish Meatballs and Puppies

When M. let me know that she and A. were going to be spending some time in Pennsylvania before returning to Seattle it was imperative that we meet up. So we decided that I'd come up to their neck of the woods for a weekend. Of course, M. ended up coming to the beach for a day, but that's neither here nor there. So, after work I got my life together (and by that I mean a huge amount of laundry, Catan and my bocci set) and headed about up to the Hellertown/Riegelsville area. I arrived to gluten free bread with blue cheese and onion.
And champagne (maybe prosecco?), because that is how everyone should be greeted for a weekend in the country. Maybe I should have sparkling wine on hand constantly, pouring it out for everyone from a weekend guest to the cable guy (I haven't seen a cable guy in my house in nearly two years).
A key difference between M. and myself (and when I say 'key' I really mean just a difference) is her interest in cookbooks and willingness to follow a recipe. I tend to read about a dish that I have never made, then read a lot of different recipes/approaches, and then come up with my own way. This is really besides the point and the actual facts contradict the earlier 'key difference' I mentioned. Point is that M. and A. have a Swedish cookbook and decided to make Swedish meatballs with ligonberry sauce....but the store didn't have lingonberries or one of the meats technically needed (I think they substituted the veal with lamb?). The result was good.
Extremely creamy potatoes and green beans were also served, along with sweet pickled cucumbers that A. came up with.
Followed, of course, with cake. Of course? No. Not of course. Sigh. I like M. and A. because of their commitment to a complete meal. I get lazy. I'll make a meat and maybe a half-hearted vegetable, but a multi-tiered from scratch cake? Nope. A. is also a devotee to the meat-veg-starch trifecta. These are good qualities: the desire to start a meal with a little snack and go all the way to dessert...and the desire to make sure that the meal really has a number of parts. There is something to learn in this model. Something to learn. I sometimes eat cheese and a peach for dinner. Hm.
A. and M. spent some time in/outside of Asheville, NC this summer and during that time they picked up a new member of their household: Ella the puppy. I don't mean to raise anyone's hackles (heh) but this puppy may be (on the whole) one of the bestest puppies ever. Sweet as a lady bug and not yappy or bitey, she was a pleasure. While they think she will become a more properly dog-sized dog, I think she has Pomeranian in her and will not grow any more than she already has. Only time will tell.

No comments: