Friday, August 28, 2009

Oysters, Beer and Conversation c/o Fins

After a few hours at the beach, the Salisbury contingent and I parted ways, they had an hour + drive to get home and I had a date with Fins Raw Bar. This had been a plan since I first started thinking about camping on the Delaware shore, since my parents and I had such a lovely time over the Christmas holidays getting our slurp on. So, I arrived and learned that the wait for a table was about two hours...but that seats at the bar were first come, first sit. Luckily there was just such a seat for me to take, and take it I did. I ordered a Troegs and a dozen oysters.
The woman sitting next to me recommended the Taunton Bays, which were described as 'fat, meaty and big salt' from Taunton Bay, Damarisotta, Maine. I also liked the description of the Flying Point oysters ( mild sweetness with mild salinity) from Casco Bay, Maine. I didn't find the Taunton Bays all that meaty or with the salty kick I expected. The Flying Points did have a nice kick of salt, but not too kicky.
I spoke with a nice man named Sal, who wanted me to take a photograph of his shrimp, so I did (it's a bad photograph, I know). Here is what I wrote when I returned to my tent:

I am not the kind of girl who meets a dude in a bar, even at my prettiest I needed a firm familiarity (ie: he would need to know someone I knew and trusted) with a person before I'd think about kissing him. No, I'm the kind of girl who befriends 60-something couples in the Queen Mary II's pub (she had worked in a cafeteria and he had been a cabby, both had been married but over a period of years things changed). I'm the kind of girl to asks the bartender at a college friend's wedding how he met his wife...then, because she's working the wedding as well, confirming that story (went on dates with other people, turned up in the same bar liked the look of one another and were married within 6 months) Yes, I'm the kind of girl who talks to the man who is waiting for his shrimp at the bar and has been married to the same woman for forty years, after knowing her for only three months. I know these things, because I ask and they don't hesitate in telling me.

Sal and his wife lived in the same apartment complex in Corpus Christie, Texas. He was 26 and had been drafted, choosing to go to flight school, he ended up in Texas. He decided to throw a party one weekend, but the keg was delievered to the wrong address, his future wife's address, of course. The red head from Mississippi brought his keg to him. They hit it off. He brought her up to Philly on Labor Day to meet his family. They got married in a church neither technically attended, with school teachers as their witnesses.

His main thought on how relationships differ from 1968? Now you have to ask someone what their credit score is.
I had a second beer, a tasty Pilsner that won some sort of award but whose name I have forgotten.
I also had another half dozen of the Beau Soleil variety of oysters, of which I wrote: "Beau Soleils=magic."
Sal and his wife and the couple they were with were quite nice, but after two beers and a dozen and a half oysters, it was time for me to get back to my tent life (think thug life).

No comments: