Monday, August 24, 2009

Hot Walk

The last week or so has been consistently sticky hot. One day last week seemed a little cooler and so I thought I'd take a walk along Kelly Drive. I was wrong, it was still really hot. I walked by Boat Row.
I saw a heron of some kind...which was awesome.
I sat on a stone bench and looked at the river while next to a, perpetually it seems, empty and forlorn fountain/pool. I saw a giant wasp carrying a cicada...and became scared by said wasp when it turned and started making a bee-line (heh) towards me.
But then it went up the side of the curve instead.

1 comment:

nc catherine said...

Oh wow those cicada killing wasps are awesome looking, but not dangerous to humans. Tell that to the inner screaming child but really, only the females can sting a person and according to the research, one would have to gather together a bunch of really jacked up females and position one's tenderest parts directly on all of them. Not that I am trying mind you, that is just what the research shows.

We had masses of them when we moved in, then none for a couple of years, then masses again. They like turf of not high quality so the better I feed my backyard the fewer I get. The trade off is better quality of weed but I digress. But it is crazy to watch one haul in its prey and then stuff it into the hole it has excavated, cicadas being as big or bigger than the killer wasps. We currently have them outside my office building so the UPS and FedEx people, not to mention clients of the various brokers and mortgage folk run shrieking into the building...

Hot and sticky, it is August after all.