Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sunday Camp Getaway in Cape Henlopen State Park

After last week's failure to take advantage of one of my very last vacation days before the busy season takes away my ability for vacation/leisure, I was determined to make something of my very last vacation day of the year. So, I successfully reserved myself campsite 6 at Cape Henlopen State Park, which is located on the shore of Delaware, near Lewes and Rehoboth. Very close to the Cape May-Lewes Ferry actually. I considered taking the ferry until I learned it costs close to fifty dollars. I arrived around 12:30 and set up my tent, which was no easy feat. I don't really remember that part of my earlier stint of tent-life. Eventually I was successful.

I emailed R. and A. earlier in the week to see if they'd like to meet up at the beach so I waited for them before going to the water. R.,A.,A., S. and A. arrived. The kids all look older than the last time I saw them and it was great to see them. On the way to the beach we saw a herd of deer in a big field, and a few yards away was this white deer. Never seen anything like it.

And then we were at the beach.
It wasn't an overly sunny day, but it was warm. We saw so many dolphins just a short distance from the shore line. More than ten, maybe fifteen? And sometimes? Sometimes, just for fun they would jump out the water and flip. Wild dolphins flipping of their own volition! It was so cool. I couldn't get over it. I stayed in the water for a while, wiped out on one wave and got quite a snoot full of water in my nose...not to mention sand in my suit and a bruise of my calf. But I lived to ride more waves, with a better sense of timing no less. A. saw a jellyfish, and I saw it too, but I decided not to freak out about it.

Last time I saw A., she couldn't walk. Now she can. Crazy. We all get older, but seeing kids literally age is just crazy.
S. loved looking for crabs.


The lifeguards were very young and fit. It was embarassing.

It was lovely to see the whole family. After a few years of not being able to meet up, I'm liking seeing them more often. It used to be, when I was in high school and college, that they were the first people I would call and see when I came back to Maryland. R. and I have, as she said on her blog, known each other since we were 14 and 17 respectively and I think was probably 16 when I met A. What a long time ago that was. Or seems to be. Thanks to them all for making the drive and having a day at the beach!

1 comment:

Raya said...

Beautiful picture of Anikah!
Glad we got a chance to visit.