Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Movie Time

This movie is all quirky and New Zealand-y. It's like an even less funny version of Napoleon Dynamite had the sex with a less compelling, but equally depressing, Muriel's Wedding. Maybe they did it on purpose. It's a movie to watch just so you can remember what you actually do and do not like in a movie.
Last night I won the right to see a sneak preview of Paper Heart. The main question of this movie is 'how do you know when you're in love?' The documentary part isn't overly revealing, nor is the fictional part featuring Michael Cera and Charlyne Yi. I laughed a few times, I teared up, ever so briefly, a few times too (but this is because of my ability to make everything about me, not because of the actual touching-ness of the content). I got a free notebook and pen as a promotional gift. Worth watching but not as sweet, quirky, funny or insightful as you might think it would be.
I also saw the new Harry Potter film two Sundays ago with A. and her bro Z. (whoa it's rare to have a Z. initial). I was excited about seeing it but couldn't remember the book that well (it was my least favorite) so couldn't glory in my superior vision and understanding of what the movie should have been. Didn't cry like I thought I would.
Happy Go Lucky is an interesting character-study type movie. There were moments when I thought I would not want to be the main character's friend because of her outlook, but then there were other moments when I realized that having someone like that around might be a benefit. It's not like she was stupid.
500 Days of Summer was the most successful of the indie-romantic-y movies I've watched in the past week. Zooey Deschanel is very pretty and she can act. Joseph Gordon Hewitt is not without cuteness and he can act. I have further thoughts.
Last night I watched The Covenant. I don't know how I lived so much of my life without this experience. Ridiculously attractive 'teenagers' at a boarding school that has no curfew or adult presence except when the plot absolutely makes it necessary, some of whom have magical powers and can be traced back hundreds of generations? Count me in! Did I mention the ridiculously attractive 'teenagers'?
I just looked at my Netflix queue for the last month and a half, pretty much since late June, and it was all Battlestar Galactica all the time. The series finale severely disappointed me, but the series as a whole felt like a good way to spend some time. Smarter people would talk about why this show is smart. I'm not that smart, so I'll just say that you should watch it and not be all judgy about the space/sci-fi angle.
My new bff (boyfriend forever). He and I dated throughout his time acting for Friday Night Lights, but after watching The Covenant I finally had the nerve to ask him to go steady...and he said yes!

No comments: