Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rain Tent

I could have sat and watched the ocean from my high little perch for a bit longer than I did, but the serious cloud line I saw behind me made me think better of that plan. So I returned to my campsite just as a steady rain began to fall. I tucked into the tent and spent about an hour reading Jane Smiley's 10 Days In The Hills (a book so chock full of so many things that I have a lot of thoughts about it...I think it may be the most sexually explicit novel she has ever written). I was nice and dry and not overly warm in my tent, and I remembered the many, many days I spent reading in a similar fashion in the summer before my senior year with great nostalgia.

I really think that living the tent life is one of my favorites. You don't have a computer, you don't have a television, you have books and whatever thoughts you have and that's it. You get a lot more writing and thinking done in this setting. I don't want to mislead anyone, however, into thinking I don't appreciate the benefits of, say, a toilet and shower--both of which were within easy walking distance of my tent location (both in Cape Henlopen and in that summer).
Above you can see the vestibule/foyer that my rain flap provides the tent. I love this small space that I could leave my shoes and other non-waterproof belongings, as it led to less clutter in the tent itself while peace of mindedness that the items outside the space would not be compromised by poor weather.

No comments: