Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Happy Hour Oysters c/o Sansom Street Oyster House

When I first moved to Philly I did a little research to learn where Philadelphians went to get their oyster fix ... you know, just so I would be prepared. The Sansom Street Oyster House certainly had a reputation and I had every intention of going...but then I didn't...and then it closed. In the last few months, however, the restaurant has reopened. Having never seen the old decor or menu, I can't really comment on what has changed and what has remained the same. All I can say is they have a Monday-Friday 5-7 'buck a shuck' happy hour, during which time one variety of oyster is $1 per succulent pretty. L., my new roommate S. and I went and tried this place out last Wednesday. The $1 oyster was the Delaware Bay variety ... rather meaty oysters with not a lot of brine to them. Good. S. ended up going with a more dainty half dozen of the Miyagi. They hit the spot, these oysters did.
Afterwards we went to Oscar's. I remembered going there after the reading very fondly, but I think you need to be there under certain key conditions (much later, and in a different state of mind), to really appreciated the place...this time around it smelled like bathroom and the waitress seemed drunk. The beer was still bigger than my head, which continued to impress me even if S. suggested that it was the same amount of beer as in a regular pint. Hmph.
P.S: dude it has been hot here. Today, according to my weather widget, it's supposed to be 93 degrees. Sticky.

No comments: