Monday, December 15, 2008

Live Music

Last Friday, as we sat and had lunch together, my coworker A. asked if anyone was interested in seeing Wilco later that night....for free...I raised my hand, as did L. and M. (and B. too but she backed out). A day's work later L, M, and I took the train to the Spectrum and met up with A., her friend, her brother and his girlfriend. We were kind of late and, though I had understood that it was Wilco and Neil young, I didn't realize that Wilco was the opening act. So, we got there in time for their last two, maybe three songs, and man, those dudes are, cough, 'tight'. It's quite impressive really. Though it couldn't be helped, I sincerely wish I could have seen more of them. But, hey, the tickets were free so I ain't complaining.
I took a bunch of Neil Young photographs but I wasn't overly excited about it. I mean, I actually, on occasion, enjoy listening to a little of Young's music (though I can't actually tell you the last time I did so, I know I have a cd of his somewhere) but Neil Young live is an entirely different beast/kettle of beast. Each song lasts a very long time, and a majority of its length is due to his inordinately long guitar solos. I guess he's entitled to play whatever he wants for as long as he wants, and I won't say it didn't sound good...it just got a little tedious. Maybe if I had been stoned or drunk, as many of the audience members clearly were, I would have been more into it. Actually, I'm sure if I had been either of those things I would have been happy to sit back and let the soaring rocking hardness of Young's stylings wash over me. Instead I sat there, impatient, exchanging the occasional barb with A.'s friend, who was equally over it. We left after about four songs (which took about an hour). Oh, and I peed in the men's bathroom because the women's line was too long and the women behind me started a revolution. I did not, however, use a urinal nor look in the general direction of the urinals...that would have been ridiculous.

No comments: