Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Your Beauty Must Be Rubbing Off On Me

On Friday I drove up to Annandale-on-Hudson, New York for my, gasp, fifth year college reunion. It was about a 3 and 1/2 hour drive and once I got off of the Garden State Turnpike and onto the New York Thruway, well, I was overtaken with a landscape nostalgia so strong that--well it was just strong, I didn't crash my car over it or anything. Then when I got to the Kingston Bridge that spans across the Hudson River and is the last hurdle, in my mind's drive, before glory, well, I was overwhelmed with an immense feeling, in my heart and my brain, that I was coming home. I have a lot of posts to put up about my short time there but I also have a job all of a sudden, so forgive me for the not as steady stream of posts...and the backlog that will come of it. The first thing I did when I got across the bridge was take a back road to Bubby's burritos. Oh Bubby's! Their prices have been raised a little but it has been three years and all food prices have raised so I'm not complaining. For $6.50 you can still get a glorious, amazing, stupendous and awesome burrito (with guac of course) everything fresh to order.
I then went somewhere else quickly. But that's another post. I left my burrito in the car at the other place then took it with me to Blithewood Garden/Mansion/Crazy Beautiful land...a spot on Bard College campus that I spent a fair amount of time playing bocci ball, eating picnics, watching and snarking on the Bard Hippies playing in their awful drum circles, etc. Can you handle the pretty? I'm not sure you can. I'm not sure that any of the photographs I have taken of the landscape of the area will give you the full visceral feeling it is to be standing there, looking at it.
Oh burrito. You came and you brought me yourself on my vacation before I even started workey! Or should I say workito?
The problem with the Mid-Hudson Valley stays the same...that I can't imagine what kind of employment I could ever find up thataway. But boy howdy am I going to become a more frequent visitor. If this was a movie the area would be Renee Zellwegger and I'd be Tom Cruise and really early on I would tell the mountains, rivers, fields, woods and towns that they complete me and they would say that I had them at hello. (I really didn't like that movie but I think my substitutions really turn it around.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

mmm, burrito..caro here-also, hey, your banner does not reflect your current situation.

Kurtlan said...

I'm actually really glad that you commented on the work situation up 'thataway' - that's probably one of the only reasons I haven't moved back to the area. That, and, well, there still may be people that I know up there. I'd rather they were all gone before I made any sort of real move up there.

See? I can be a hermit, too!

cc said...

But when it's so pretty you're not a hermit you're like Emerson...or wait was it Thoreau. Yikes, I have no idea.