Sunday, December 21, 2008

Material Improvements

I returned from my Ikea and pho trip and had to start building my dresser. My coworker B. came over and ended up being absolutely integral to the putting together of the piece of furniture spread out between two giant boxes. Oh man, there were so many pieces. Ikea's wordless directions are minorly intuitive, for me anyways. B. saved me many a mistake and frustration and I thank her, I surely do. I did the drawers myself and found that level of complexity to my liking. I could make drawers for days. Well, not for days. Maybe for an hour, here and there. I also finally framed and hung this print of a chicken that I got at an arts fair, months ago.

I like this blue and red thing. And images of chickens makes me think of Bailey White's book, Quite a A Year For Plums, which has a character who paints chickens and brings them to some sort of snooty 'Audobon Society Art Contest', images of soaring eagles and more exotic tropical water birds the accepted standard. Her peers' collective reaction her chicken images was so appalled. White makes it entirely comical. Chickens!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Instructions not written in words make me a bit insane. Instructions translated from (something) to (something else) to English also make me insane. Congrats on the cool blue chest of drawers, or as we say here in NC, chester drawer...And the chicken print is waaaaay cool. Better than my friend Scott's still life photo of a er um plucked chicken....but he sells them so someone must like 'em!

claire said...

ok. let's try this at the correct post.

ahem.

i am about to purchase that exact dresser, carry it up four flights of stairs, and put it together by myself. is this a stupid thing to do?

cc said...

I wondered about your comment placement Claire. Here is my response:

when you say 'carry it myself' do you mean, to the car? or on the subway? if you mean on the subway, forget it. pack up that dream and bury it in an alley. there are two boxes, they are very heavy...i struggled to get them into my car, out of my car and up my apartment's one flight of stairs. you could put it together by yourself, but you would want to kill yourself...get a furniture buddy, it will be revolutionary.

four flights of stairs, guh. I was only able to get the boxes up the one flight I faced by a series of gymnastics that left bruises on my arms.

i think you need a furniture buddy. josh is unemployed isn't he? ask him to help. or not...just ask somebody.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and a blogworthy new Year! And Thank-you for your writing and photo-taking, I love reading your blog.

cc said...

Thank you kindly, I'm glad you enjoy it!