Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Best Ever c/o Pho Ha

On Friday my father had a hankering for a Philly cheesesteak. Still new to the area, myself, I figured Pat's would be a safe choice. Of course I hadn't really understood how busy the place gets...the line stretched all the way around the building and back again. We were trying to get to a movie in 45 minutes and didn't have faith that the line would be that magical-quick.

So we went with our second hankering...pho. We went to Pho Ha simply because it was the first place we saw in an Asian shopping mall just east of Italian Market, on Washington. Now, I've had Pho in D.C., Maryland, Chicago, Alabama and North Carolina and I can say that the bowl I had was truly the best I've ever had...I don't know about the best in Philly but definitely the best in my life.
The menu is nice in its breakdown of the different meats you can add to the broth and noodles, and a basic description of the flavor that results. Also they have the option of customizing your bowl further by adding/lessening your noodles, broth, meat etc. I had #8 (steak, flank, fatty flank) and ordered my broth 'extra fatty'.

Bowls came in small and large (and maybe extra large?), my mother and I ordered smalls and, as much as I wanted to, I couldn't quite get to the bottom of it. Man oh man, I'll go back!
Just looking at it makes any dinner I could possibly make for myself tonight pale in comparison. Sigh.

4 comments:

J said...

Wow, that's great to know.

The Italian market has become more like an international market over the last fifteen or so years. Really great Asian food around there, among others.

Anonymous said...

Once again you have preordained my supper! The resident teen and I are most likely going to our Pho for not pho but probably some yummy other stuff. There is something funky about our Pho's pho, maybe the beef broth or maybe too much white pepper but we don't love it as much as some other dishes, like the lemon grass soup. But Pho on a cheerless gray cold cloudy but not cold or cloudy enough to snow sort of day will be good. That and decorating the Christmas tree! Man it smells good in here, fraser fire and a whiff of woodsmoke from the not-so-great fireplace!

Anonymous said...

That does look fantastic! What a shame there's no Pho place where I live...

cc said...

Pho's not big in Germany? That is too bad. But hey, aren't you closer to Vietnam than I am? Just take a quick trip there! (I know that makes no sense)