Friday, December 26, 2008

Oh Tied House, Sigh

So I've gone to Tied House a few times. Sometimes with coworkers, in which case it is more about having a beer than eating the food...and once with my parents, then it was about dinner. And I just don't know what to say. The meal my parents and I shared was decent (lovely olives, decently fried fish and chips/my parents liked their lamb and short ribs) but other tastes of the establishment's food has been decidedly unimpressive. Take the above 'Tandoori' chicken wings L. and I split last week. Um, they tasted like nothing really. They were dry, not sauced, which I wouldn't have minded if there was any true flavor going on...but there was not. I also tried my coworker A.'s abondingas (little spiced meatballs), which tasted okay but were especially small for their price. Sigh. I think that, regardless of the one dinner, I would now say that this place is only good for its beer....and really, you should go so it stays open and I can have their beer. Just don't get too excited by the food, it always sounds better than it is.

2 comments:

Cookbookaddict said...

While you have an absolute right to your opinion, tandoori chicken is a dry rub, and never has a sauce. It is an Indian recipe. So the problem was not the restaurant. I really like the Tiedhouse and appreciate their fairly sophisticated approach for a brewpub, although more standard homey items are available on the menu.

cc said...

Admittedly, I'm not overly familiar with proper Indian techniques. And the dry-ness, as I said, was not really the big problem I had with the dish...it was the lack of any real flavor or pizazz. The meat wasn't overly moist, the skin not delectably anything.

I like the Lafayette beers and I give them props for their less standard menu selection...I just wish it was as good as I imagine it on paper.