Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pho and The Lack of Narrative

On Saturday I went to Ikea in order to finally get myself a dresser so that I wouldn't be living out of suitcases and a shitty set of plastic drawers. I also planned on going to Pho Ha to have another round of their fantastic pho. And this is what happened:
I came into the restaurant and saw that it was pretty crowded, I was not overly surprised by this fact, having walked in knowing there was a chance that I would have to share a table with strangers (against one wall they have a lot of two person tables pushed together so that parties of six or eight can sit together...or people can attempt to space themselves out while still sharing the centrally located spoon/chopsticks/napkins/sauce dispenser centers). I came prepared with a pen and piece of paper for writing real thoughts I had, or to appear like I was writing thoughts I had. The young dude in charge of seating immediately asked me if I was a party of two, I corrected him, he looked around and sort of seemed like he was sorry. I then told him it was fine, I could sit at a table with other people. He asked me if I was sure. I said I was. He walked to a table that had seating for eight. Up against the wall there was a couple, then there were four empty seats, and then a guy on the end. The seater seemed to ask the guy at the end if it was alright for someone else to sit there, he responded positively, as did the couple. So I went and sat down, nodding to the couple (a middle aged white couple) and saying hello to the guy on the end (a late 20-something guy with a certain handsome look to him...I didn't look closely). Once seated I pulled out my paper, pen and phone and then opened the menu. I also took another glance at the guy, as he was seated diagonally across from me, while there was a full row of seats between me and the couple. As I looked, I was struck by the fact that he seemed kind of familiar. But I didn't want to get caught staring, so I went back to the menu, placed my order and began writing nonsense...nonsense because I couldn't help but look at the guy again.
I couldn't place it but I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd somehow had contact with him before, he had dark hair, and long arms that suggested that if he stood, he'd be rather tall. It began to dawn on me that I had, in fact seen this guy, or a very convincing doppleganger. His pho arrived and it seemed kind of rude to ask him about it while he was eating, plus it would be a little embarassing if I was wrong. My soup arrived and as I began to dig in (honestly it wasn't quite as revolutionarily good as my first bowl), I realized that it would be silly not to ask because the chances really were in my favor. So....I said to him, I said:

"Are you a Mambo mover?"

He, looking up with a certain look of 'man I wish Mambo Movers weren't such local celebrities and hadn't collectively been voted 'sexiest man in Philadelphia', replied that yes, he was. I nodded awkwardly and then said, 'you dropped my futon bar down an elevator shaft!', omitting the fact that, in my recounting of this event, I found him charming and extremely cute (even if he suckered me into thinking that he would actually find a futon bar just lying around Philly). We exchanged a few more words on the subject, he said he had heard that, in the end, his boss-type guy had managed to gain entry to the elevator shaft and retrieve the missing part and I asked if he really even looked for a bar and congratulated him on his sexy status (in a good natured non-harpy-crazy-person kind of way). We lapsed back into soup eating silence. A few additional half conversations took place after that point, mostly about the soup and the establishment's choice of aggressive techno music on the speakers. Having been served his soup first, and, it seems, having a bigger appetite to boot, the guy stood up and apologized for the delay in my futon bar arrival. I, having just finished slurping, responded with an appropriately stupid 'have a nice day', as if I were a a greeter at the Gap or Walmart. He went to pay, I continued eating while thinking about how slim the chances were that a)two people with such a tangential connection to one another would end up eating at the same restaurant at the same time (I seriously considered eating pho before Ikea but decided against it), and b)would both be eating alone thus seated at the same table together. I mean, seriously, what are the odds? As he walked by, he nodded and said goodbye.

I finished as much of the food as I could (it wasn't as good, I'm wondering if it's because I didn't request extra fatty broth or the fact that I was completely distracted) and went up to pay. The man at the register looked at my ticket and then looked at me and almost started to punch something into the machine before he shook his head, telling me that the man before me had paid for my meal. What a nice gesture.

This story has made me think about a topic (or perhaps it's an offshoot of the subject) I often think and write about. As does this article that Josh linked to in the last week. You see, the fact that this happened, if my life was a book, television show or movie, really would have some meaning. I would be destined to see this guy again, maybe multiple times and, in the end, we'd kiss or something. And it's a shame that I can't simply be happy with the story as-is, that the futon debacle ended with an awkward but friendly interaction and a free bowl of soup. No, I can't help but feel a little cheated. I'm probably going to live in Philadelphia for some time and I will probably not see this guy again (unless I start going to their art shows, but that would be rather manipulative and I'm not into that), and even if I do, it does not mean that hey, third time's the charm, we'll strike up a really compelling conversation and, I don't know, kiss or something. It would just be a third random event.

Am I ruined? Does understanding that this sort of magic doesn't exist, and still kind of wishing it did, make me just as bad as the people who really think that a relationship's viability can be determined within seconds?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Let's recap slowly for the dimwitted long distant older friends and family who do not believe in the fantasy coup de foudre.

Such a cool story. And what does buying the soup mean: oops I was a dickhead when I was functioning as a Mambo Mover? Or: Wow a fellow Pho traveler? Or: I am going to buy this interesting and attactive woman her soup and go back to find the ticket for the lost futon bar?
With of course all the relevant info.

Because I believe in magic, if not the smack you upside the head THIS IS THE ONE sort of crap, I am leaning towards option no. 3. After all, what a nice bookmark: a lost damn futon bar...If you had had a blase normal uneventful move, he would not have a tickler for re-discovering you, except perhaps hmmm I think we did this gig in wha' October?...

Living vicariously, I surely can make up my own version! But how cool if totally random and bizarre!

cc said...

Oh the buying of the soup was most certainly a 'my bad about that whole futon thing, here have some soup.' Which was nice since, you know, I did get the futon bar back in the end.

Also, he didn't rediscover me. The number of people that company helps move makes discovery pretty rare.

And yeah, I don't really believe in magic.

bezdomnik said...

I definitely believe in magic. In fact, I believe in it so strongly that I place a $1 bet on something happening within, um, let's say 4 months.

$1 whole dollar, and surely you must suspect how cheap I am.

cc said...

Well sure, something will happen in four months. Heck, something, somewhere, happened since I typed this far.

Something happening in relation to this story. Heh. I will bet you a dollar per month the opposite. Ie I will take the non-magic bet.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your story about non-storied life. I can't wrap my mind around it either, as some parts of our lives do form passable narratives, but usually only in retrospect. I guess if we knew which bits were going to be part of a narrative, that would allow us a little glimpse into the future, and maybe that's what we crave for?

cc said...

Huckleberry, I think you've hit on an important aspect of my fascination.

That, yes, you can certainly construct a narrative of your life when looking back...but, when you identify potential futures, it's like they're destined not to happen.

For instance, I was able to construct a pretty good 'how we met' story about the ebf and myself, once we were together...but the events that led up to them passed by me without my considering them momentous or promising.

Anonymous said...

Once a long time ago I finagled tickets to a Rolling Stones concert, had great seats like practically hovering above stage right. Awesome show but somehow I kept wondering what I was going to remember instead of actually experiencing the show. If that makes any sense. So yes, identifying potential futures when we are barely in the present can make a mess. That whole longing thing too....

I am with bezdomnik and I am putting a buck a month on magic. But here is the kicker: it doesn't have to be futon bar related magic. There, covering all bases!

J said...

I am a firm believer in great "how we met stories" and in fact,am fascinated by them. I'd collect them if I could.

This would make a fantastic one.

I know usually real life is just like real life and the things that would happen if it were a show or movie, almost never ever ever happen, no matter how promising or amazing or perfect it'd be.

But, sometimes, really rarely, but every now and then, they do.

Maybe this will be one of those times.

cc said...

How optimistic of you Josh. I continue to veto that line of thought.

I do, however, have a similar fascination with 'how we met stories', I usually collect them while slightly intoxicated and at weddings...or on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic..or just intoxicated.

bezdomnik said...

ooooh, $1 per month. you and nc-c upping the magic ante. I'm all in. That's right. Accepting the stipulations (perhaps non-futon, but now per month, but still magic, and btw, no cheating... you know what I mean.)

cc said...

I actually think your extremely broad definition of 'magic' doesn't really work for me.

It seems to me you're saying that: within four months, something positive will happen.

That, I'm willing to concede, is entirely probable...but magic, something really out of the ordinary, how did this happen, magic? humpf

Anonymous said...

Last night at supper in a funky neighborhood bar full of end-of-school celebratory grad student types, I talked about this here blog item with my friends (we be way older than grad student types) and the resident teenager.

Here is the man's response:

"What is she crazy? Of course he found her attractive! Buying her soup? DUH."

The woman's response:

"Oh definitely more than being polite and paying back the lost whatever it was. Definitely."

The resident teen's response:

"Say what now?" then "Yeah duh he thinks she's hot."

There ya have it. And if we are all wrong, well my dear CC, we all still have this fabulous story to bat around and lay wagers on magic.

bezdomnik said...

Okay. good point.

So, simply 'positive' does not qualify and you are safe in that regards. I mean, if your life resembles mine even a little bit, anything positive is magical, but that's besides the point.

For me magic means 'positive' and 'mysteriously enchanting' i.e. something weird and a little shockingly coincidental (like accidentally eating pho at a table with the very same hottie who dropped your futon down an elevator shaft).

And still I say, no cheating.

Anonymous said...

Yeah magic... and "anything positive is magical, but that's besides the point." I am all in on that concept! Unexpected, mysteriously enchanting yup that makes in my book!!! And I second the no cheating, altho how we would know hmmm we wouldn't!

claire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cc said...

when you say 'carry it myself' do you mean, to the car? or on the subway? if you mean on the subway, forget it. pack up that dream and bury it in an alley. there are two boxes, they are very heavy...i struggled to get them into my car, out of my car and up my apartment's one flight of stairs. you could put it together by yourself, but you would want to kill yourself...get a furniture buddy, it will be revolutionary.

m.lady said...

I think you should post a missed connection on Craigslist. Or maybe he already has, you should look into that. Also, everything in this post totally made sense to me. Whenever stuff like this happens, I think, but there should be more! We need to kiss in the rain! On ice skates! In an awkward yet charming public display of affection!