Friday, January 02, 2009

Holiday

Last Tuesday I left work and drove to Dewey Beach, Delaware, a beach town near Rehoboth where my parents had rented an apartment/condo for the week surrounding Christmas. On Wednesday I had to wake up and go to work like always, driving to a Starbucks in Rehoboth and using their internet for hours on end while paying for one cup of tea, maybe two. Earl Grey tea, the go-to morning beverage. I do love Earl Grey Tea, really sweet and cut with enough milk to change its color to a light beige caramel and taste noticeably silkier. Mmmm. It's best at home, not in a cardboard cup you have re-used four times. Lesson learned: bring your own cup. I don't bring my cup because I'm terrified of breaking it. It is one in a series of great cups I've had tea with. Except that it, unlike most all the others, isn't broken. Changing the scenery of a cup too many times is destined for badness. My green tall cup that I took with me from the condemned apartment in Tivoli broke as I was reaching for my keys to unlock my porch door after a day at the farm. Crash! That poor cup. I try to sequester my current mug, which I purchased at a Filene's Basement in Chicago within the first weeks of moving there - an attempt to find a routine and make a home is always helped by a great morning mug. I also bought a pair of shoes, maybe, they have not fared as well. If I wear them, these worn out clog type shoes, I get blisters on my heels. Who needs that? The point is not shoes or mugs. The point is that this is a picture of the view from my parents' apartondo on Wednesday morning.

No comments: