Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Next Stop, Yummy Town

After lunch I walked down to Union Square where I was lucky enough to witness (and even purchase a little something) at the farmer's market. I then went to the nearby movie theater to buy a ticket for 27 Dresses. Unfortunately, according to the ticket seller, the internet and their own schedule was wrong and 27 Dresses wasn't playing for another 2+ hours and I was totally not in the mood to see There Will Be Blood. Atonement was also playing in 2+ hours so I went ahead and bought a ticket. Then I walked around, found myself outside of The Strand bookstore and went inside. I wandered around for a good amount of time, bought a book then went back to the movie theater to sit inside for the remaining 45 minutes before the movie started. I was reading Don Delillo's White Noise (borrowed from my host and finished last night). Then I watched the movie (which I've already mentioned I think...I thought that for a book to movie adaptation they did pretty good job...though the book is still better). Then I walked down to NYU territory and met up with my dear friend K. Below is her artsy office space. They do things with technology.
We went to Village Yokocho for fancy drinks and conversation. We went to the 'secret bar' in front of the main eating space. Low light, snappily dressed and coiffed male Japanese servers and drinks with names like Ascension. Below is Ascension (ha): some kind of infused vodka, peach and white grape juice and topped with Rosé champagne. Expensive but wholly satisfying.
We also ordered sashimi and fried oysters. The sashimi was AMAZING. Best fish I've had in a long, long time. Each piece cut thicker than I'm used to but also buttery to the extreme. The oysters were also good, the breading had flavor and subtlety and you could still get a good sense of the oyster's flavor.
They do not allow flash photography, I learned...after taking two flash photographs. Mmmm.

No comments: