Sunday, August 29, 2010

Beachy Times

I so enjoyed my Delaware camp-escape last year that I knew that I wanted to do it again this summer. So after a little dilly dallying, I reserved a campsite back in June for August. I told L. and T. and C. and J. about this plan and encouraged them to join the fun. In the end L. and Fatty Mcgee couldn't come, but C. and J. brought their own posse, all of whom I met up with after driving down to Cape Henlopen on Saturday. C. helped me put up my tent and then we headed for the beach where the rest of her crew were taking in the sun and waves.
No dolphins were seen, but some jellyfish. At one point I brushed up against one while floating, which resulted in my screaming like a little girl and quickly paddling myself out of the water. This reaction is not all that surprising. Jellyfish stings hurt. But the thing is, I knew they were there and just touching one made me need to get out...but I had every intention of going back in. So, why get out in the first place? Why does being confronted with something unpleasant, but expected, result in an exodus even if you know that you're going to put yourself right back into that position again?
I took my obligatory feet at the ocean pictures.

I asked J. to take a few photographs of C. and me in the surf.


No dolphins were seen (by me) on this day. I was saddened by this because last year my first foray onto the beach resulted in many, many dolphin sightings...including them FLIPPING OUT OF THE WATER OF THEIR OWN VOLITION. I had high hopes. Dashed. Those hopes were dashed.

1 comment:

SK-S said...

looks like fun!