Thursday, August 05, 2010

Holy Ghost! and Chromeo c/o Holy Ghost! and the Trocadero

So, a few weeks back I noticed that Holy Ghost! and Chromeo were coming to Philadelphia. I sort of went to college with one of the members of Holy Ghost! and we certainly drank a few times together, and I'm pretty sure I fed his group of folks bouillabaise at some point. So. I reached out to A. and asked him if he'd like to have some mac n' cheese before his show. Alas, that could not be done, but he did offer tickets to the concert, which was pretty neat. So. A.S., C. and I put on our finest dancing clothes and bussed it down to the Trocadero. This venue is pretty weird about cameras, so it was very handy that A. had given me permission to bring my camera inside...otherwise I would have had to leave it in the box office or in a locker in the Greyhound station (yick). None of us really cared for the opening act. Sorry. We went up front for Holy Ghost! but I had a hard time getting a good angle for photographs. People were really not giving an inch, so I was about three people back from the ideal photo placement location. Whatever.
N., the drummer, was pretty much obscured from my view. I could see his arms and sweat dropping off his face, but not his actual face. So, no photographs of him. Wouldn't it be neat if his head was a cymbal all the time? No? Oh.
I managed a number of relatively good shots of the guitar player...mainly because he was directly in front of me. He also seemed, at times, to be the most enthusiastic of the bunch. Not that that really comes through in these pictures. Hm, maybe I didn't edit these down to the right ones.
A. was off in a corner where the lights hardly ever went. I wondered if this was purposeful.



It was a good set and I enjoyed getting to see it. I overheard one guy refer to it as 'sick.' I'm not sure if that's really what I would call it, but different strokes, different folks.
Next up was Chromeo. They had a lot, a lot, a lot of strobes and keyboards on lit up women's legs. Pretty tight.
Dave-1 was quite a good showman, truly looked like he was having a good time. Smiling and laughing and hyping up the crowd.

We didn't bother trying to get close, the main floor was too jam packed and I had too much gear. But we danced from afar and I was very pleased when they played Momma's Boy.






Thanks to A. for the comped tickets and great show.

No comments: