Sunday, August 15, 2010

Greeter Falls Success

While the water fall-y levels of Foster Falls were certainly compromised in my visit, I still wanted to take a look at how Greeter Falls was faring. Last year was perhaps my second visit to this specific swimming hole and falls, and I did indeed enjoy it. I regret not checking it out sooner and have committed myself to taking advantage of it whenever I'm in the area. My cousin H. and I, and Lightning and Lincoln the dogs headed off that a'ways sometime after my seeing the snake. I was relieved to find that there was a slightly more steady drop of water to hole than at Foster Falls. I am not a scientist, but I think it was a matter of, uh, I didn't really think this through before I started writing it...Foster Falls is taller and a bigger hole, so maybe it has a larger overall stream and a lack of rain would impact it more? There seems to be a pretty big flaw with that approach. Nevermind. Point is, there was water actively flowing.
Lincoln, the lab, will swim, swim, swim...but Lightning the retriever, shepherd, maybe-lab mix is more of a circler. He was happy to trot around to the far side of the swimming hole and hang out near H. and Lincoln, but actually getting emerged in the water was clearly unappealing to him.
Lincoln and Lightning also made friends with others enjoying the view and water.
Pleased was I. Next time I'm there and the weather is good, I'm just going to bring me a cooler with snacks and a good book. Basically I'm thinking of spending time at Greeter Falls in much the same way as M. and I spent time at Lampson Falls last year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whar's 'em 'are picures I took of you, girl? H

cc said...

Well, cousin, the first day's photographs weren't very good. So we'll have to wait until I get the second trip up on the blog to see your photographic handiwork:))

nc catherine said...

Ah back in the day, Greeter Falls was Longs Mill and the intrepid, or stupid, would dare each other at high water to jump off the falls. Yup it is true. Did it once, that is all it took. One of my favorite places on the planet tho. And way way back in the day, one approached from the other side of the creek from the old burned out Altamont Courthouse, down a rutted logging trail and then down the side of the creek. As a little kid it was an awesome trek. As a bigger person my other favorite place there is the upper pool, which was above where you came in on the old logging trail, so it was a later in life discovery. I have summer envy!

Now my house stinks of floor refinishing. Sigh. It will never end.