Saturday, August 28, 2010

Burrata Cheese and Tomato

One of the cheeses I purchased at Costco was a bit of a surprise. I meant to buy just regular ol' fresh mozzarella cheese but I ended up with Burrata. This was a little disconcerting at first, as the cheese may look firm from the outside, but it is, in fact, chock full of cream on the inside...a soupy kind of ricotta/cottage cheese loveliness wrapped up in a mozzarella shell. So, when I went to cut the first of my four balls of this stuff, I was immediately concerned that it had gone bad. But I sniffed, I tentatively took a dollop of the inside creaminess and put it to my tongue...and nothing bad happened. Then I took a closer look at the container to find that the cheese was as it was supposed to be and it was my own set of expectations that needed adjusting. Here is my dinner one night, a fresh tomato, sliced and salted with just a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of the roommate's basil, topped with a hunk of oozy burrata cheese. I am the cheese man, ooze, ooze magoo.

No comments: