Thursday, August 05, 2010

Tuna Fish for Burger Thievery

My roommate is a bit of a barfly. If I understand what a barfly is, which I may not. The point is he can't just stay at home, he must go out. You can be sitting on the porch in a group, drinking beer, shooting the shit and he will still get antsy, still need to go to his favorite neighborhood bars and see what's happening there. This leads to our having rather different schedules. While I am usually in for the night by nine, he is usually just getting ready to go out. This also leads to his returning home later, and drunker, than I usually do. There are, of course, a number of times when this has not been true but, as a general rule, one can consider it fact. The day after the barbeque I did inventory on what food remained, and it included about six or seven hamburgers and more sausage than I'd really like to discuss. While I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat all the burgers in a timely fashion, I did have a plan: I'd eat one or two and then turn the rest into some sort of tomato sauce. So, when I went to get something from the fridge one morning before work and found all the burgers gone, I was a little miffed. I was even more miffed when I found two of them on the grill, all cooked and dried up and uneaten. I was annoyed, I admit it. As this was a clear sign of S. coming home late with a bunch of dudes, deciding to grill the burgers and then all of them realizing they were too drunk to actually eat them. Waste! While I stewed on this a little at work, S. was waking up and then emailing me to apologize. This always ruins a good stew, when the person who has caused the stewing acknowledges their mistake and offers to fix it. In this case he said he would get me anything from Whole Foods. I suggested a $5 piece of salmon or tuna. He ended up getting me a $12 piece of tuna and a blue cheese and bacon burger.
It was a beautiful piece of fish and quite hefty. I grilled it and ate half of it for lunch and the other half for another lunch on another day. A more than fair return on all those burgers.

No comments: