Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Beef Roast and Stewed Loveliness

I flew to Tennessee...in an airplane, not with my arms...which meant that while I was staying with my parents I was car-free. My parents share one mini-van and while, on the whole, any of my activities that necessitated a car wouldn't have cramped their style too much, it was lovely that H. and C. were willing to pick me up and drop me off on our swimming adventures. D.B was visiting with my parents when I was dropped off. A certain kind of cocktail hour was had, and then H. and C. departed. Mom made a beef roast (what's the more proper term?) and a really wonderful sort of stewed concoction of green tomatoes, leeks and potatoes. Green tomatoes stewed. What a great idea. Somehow I never thought of it or had it, but now the concept of green tomatoes is very, very appealing to me. At the end of the summer. Sigh.
Mom even made gravy. Tasty gravy. And the leeks! Did I mention the green tomatoes. Oh man.
And for dessert we had cantaloupe. Well, most of us did. Mom's back in a position where fresh vegetables are verboten, which is, in so many ways, a less than ideal place to be. I mean, to be surrounded by the bounty of fresh veggies and not to be able to partake? Bullshit. That's what that is. I mean, I get it. But it's still a bummer.
The cantaloupe was delightful. Dad suggested putting salt on it, which I didn't do...but a spritz of lime juice was a nice accoutrement.

No comments: