Friday, June 05, 2009

Wedding Picnic by the Lake and an Anecdote

On Sunday I drove over to Clifftops because J.D.'s sister had been married the day before and now there was a day-after-wedding picnic at the Clifftops lake. I realized that, though I've passed the entrance to Clifftops for years, I had no idea how massive the gated community is...I mean, they have a lake! A really beautiful one.
There were massive amounts of sausage that glistened happily in the sun.
Deviled eggs were present.
Mmmm, sausage.
Mmm, cupcakes.
I got there while they were still setting up and so I tried to pitch in a little (I moved a car and placed some sunflowers on tables) but the event was pretty well covered. During introductions I explained that I lived in Philadelphia but that my parents lived in Sewanee, which leads naturally to a question of who my parents are. I answer that question then explain that my grandmother was 'Dr. Betty'. One woman in the mix then told me a great little anecdote:

She had had her first or second child and there were complications. When she asked her Nashville doctor if she could have any more children, he responded that it was possible only under optimal conditions. The lady then asked what, exactly, would make optimal conditions...and he replied, 'well is Doctor Betty still practicing?'.

Boom.

1 comment:

HinTN said...

I am almost crying! I've been living around these parts for 37 years (not in Sewanee but nearby) and when people find out the family connection they (these are country people) invariably say something along the lines of, "Dr. Henry operated on me..." or "Dr. Betty birthed me (or my child) ..." That this Nashville doctor said this does not surprise me in the least. Sewanee was once renowned for having the only decent hospital between Memphis and Chattanooga and Dr. Renny was very much a part of that. boom, indeed