Sunday, June 21, 2009

Breakfast c/o Lula Cafe

When I lived in Chicago a number of writerly folks, aware of my food-heavy blog and Chicagoist writings, insisted that I go and have a meal at Lula Cafe. I never did. This was, in part, because it was in Logan Square and seemed sooooooo far away from Andersonville. Another, even sillier, reason for my lack of motivation to get down there was that their banana cream pie was particularly touted as a big draw. As a rabid banana hater this endorsement left me a little cold on the inside. Alls to say that on Saturday morning M. Lady and I went to Lula and it was wonderful. There was a bit of a wait -- 20 minutes or so -- but the time went by at a nice clip and it was raining outside, so it was great just to be safely out of the precipitation. Once seated, I ordered an Earl Grey tea, which came in a cute-cute-cute tea pot.
For the main event I ordered their brunch special's eggs benedict. I went to the menu online to see if I could find its description, but they mix it up and they're serving a different combination of flavors now. What I can recall is this: pancetta, living waters tomatoes, arugula, garlic, hollandaise, sour dough and poached eggs.
It was delicious...though the first poached egg had almost no yolk, like maybe it had leaked right out and into the bread leaving only egg white. Still good, just perplexing. The tomatoes were like tomatoes I've never tasted before and I simply do not understand how they could taste so good in June and in Chicago. The arugula garlic component gave the dish a little extra flair. I would have preferred a little more pancetta, and maybe placed below the eggs...it was very hard to actually make a bite that encapsulate each element and the pancetta was so wonderfully crisp that it easily shattered/wouldn't stay on my fork. The hollandaise sauce was delicate but certainly brought something to the dish.
I know I'm mentioning things that could have been better, but this was definitely one of the better meals I've had in quite a while.

No comments: