Monday, June 15, 2009

Foster Falls

My second Saturday in Sewanee shaped up nicely. My cousin, his wife, their dogs and I all went to Foster Falls for another bit of swimming. The two preceding days had brought a fair amount of rain with them, so the water was running cold and fast.
I wished I had my 4x5 to take better photographs of the steep descent to the base of the falls, but I didn't.


Unlike Greeter Falls, which one could easily swim right up to and feel the pounding of the water, Foster Falls' added height and the recent rains made it pretty much impossible. Just trying to swim to the point where the falling water met the pool was an exercise in near futility...basically swimming against a truly strong current. Still, it was refreshing. The water was so cold that when I got out I had a few seconds where my brain and body just sort of went into a coma...of course, I was actually walking and talking just fine...but secretly I knew I was comatose. What?




The light through the trees, hitting the water or fallen mountain laurel was beauty-full.

1 comment:

nc catherine said...

Yes, mountain stream chilly water brain freeze, like from ice cream, but all over. And the heat and humidity are much easier to tolerate after dipping in 60 degree water! Fun.