Sunday, June 07, 2009

Rain

Another day I went to the library and checked out a few videos, one of which was Persepolis. While I watched the movie it started to rain, so I took a picture of the rain falling off the roof.

I am procrastinating now. I should be vacuuming the house and doing one more load of laundry and packing up my belongings and emptying the fridge, but here I am writing about rain and thinking about the two apocalyptic type movies I've watched in the last two days. For example, The Happening. That movie is not amazing, but the idea of some sort of something that leads to people committing suicide in mass numbers is rather terrifying. The whole 'where do I go, how do I stay safe' mentality; the whole 'I am in the country and the plants may be out to get me mindset'. Then I watched 28 Days Later, and thought about the whole 'zombies in our midst, army willing to kill us at all costs' perspective. I generally feel safe in my life, though aware of the things that could happen that would make me less safe. But those sorts of things (robbery, rape, murder), random as they can be, are an acknowledged reality of society, while crazy neurotoxins and zombie disease are not, which is exactly why one watches movies that feature that sort of subject matter: to learn what to do in their eventuality, ha. I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. Now I'm just thinking about what I would do if some crazy thing happened in Philadelphia. Would it be realistic to think I could get all the way to Tennessee? Would it be realistic to think that it would be safer there? Would gas stations still work? Would I be running from a recognizable enemy. Sigh. Too much crazy.

3 comments:

nc catherine said...

The where do I go, where do I hide, where will I be safe conundrum is really crazy. Good thoughts for post-whacko movie in the rain, maybe not so good thoughts on a general day. But, when I was living away from TN and somewhat younger than you are now, I had the panic of how do I get home when all hell breaks loose? A clear minded friend said, well look at it this way: there are some serious nuke and military and nuke/military installatiosn right near where you think you want to be and where you think you will be safe...Ain't those sights the sort of places the crazy people want to target? So maybe deep in Philly is just as "safe" as deep in Sewanee. Not as pretty, not as flexible in terms of (fill in the blank: help, neighbors, foodstuffs) but maybe not as fraught either.

It is too pretty here today post-four-day monsoons, and I am too far behind in a paper due Tuesday and oh crap there is work tomorrow, to explore much else.
And re the next post: the lasagne looks awesome and I need the pea soup arugala concoction.

Ted said...

That's the appeal of the apocalyptic movie: making things happen in the absence of other humans, navigating a human-empty landscape, rummaging through the detritus of a civilization, etc. I love that stuff.

I Am Legend is a good one for that, the way he stockpiles non perishable food items and weapons and what-not in an empty NYC, while having to get back before sunset so the vampires don't get him. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's taken me coming back and looking at your blog more slowly to 'get' this photo. That's the movie I see in the window, right. It was most perplexing without really reading your texr!