Monday, June 08, 2009

The Cat Exists

I have often referred to Zul as a rebound cat. He suffers for it. Trying to live up to Meow Cat's memory, trying to lessen his origin story, trying to make up for making me such a neurotic mess I crashed my car, trying not to puke and shed all the time. I suffer too. I suffer from my some time ambivalence towards him...or from my some time overwhelming paranoia that he is dying/depressed/insane and ready to eat my face when I die. Neither here nor there, I think that Zul enjoyed his time in Sewanee...far more room to call his own, bugs to eat as snacks (though I always worry that he's going to eat a brown recluse or catch heartworms), a more relaxed and present human being etc. The other night he jumped into my lap, nothing unusual there, and I grabbed the camera for a mini photoshoot.

3 comments:

nc catherine said...

Ah me you are overthinking the cat. The cat will be extremely clear when he is not happy. Unlike a dog, who will slobber and wiggle and go on and on with great canine joy at your mere presence, even with a broken foot. Truth.

Zul looks happy. Life with you is probably just fine and dandy in his little kitty book.

cc said...

Let's hope so. Otherwise he is totally going to start eating my face while I am sleeping. Ack!

nc catherine said...

Hey, has he eaten your face yet, after all the trauma you have put him through? Didn't think so! He is happy in his own kitty cat way. Now the loon dog I have, he is a totally different kettle of fish. I keep an eye on him because he has that crazy part that could just go OFF and that wouldn't be good. 90 percent white labrador, 10percent whackjob don't know what, and so I gotta keep an eye on the 10 percent. Zul, he is all cat 110 percent.