Monday, June 15, 2009

Last Night in Sewanee: Lake, Steak and Hamment

Later on I met up with J.D. It was our respective last nights in town as J.D. would be departing for Africa the next day and I would be heading back north. J.D. was still pulling all his stuff together for his two month visit to Malawi, so I got to see some of his gear...like this tent hammock. A tentock. Or a hamment.
His sister was also going to Africa, so in the days leading up to their departure J.D. had been giving some her a few language lessons.
After he got a few things done, we went to the Clifftops lake and swam across it and back...then rewarded ourselves with a steak sandwich J.D. prepared, as well as a shandy.
We fed some of the sandwich to eagerly awaiting fish.
It was quite pretty and we were the sole swimmers/dock sitters, which (like most all things) made it that much prettier. Other people blow.
It isn't very often that I spend so much time with people from my past, it's usually a weekend here or a dinner there, so to see J.D. in a more casual way, and over an extended amount of time, was quite nice. I have dreams of getting other people down to Tennessee so that it's not such a solitary existence, but somehow I can never entice anyone and maybe it's just as well, since I do like to be alone. Or do I? I think I do, but I think I like being alone because then I can engage in all my worst habits (too much television, wearing a slip as a dress, drinking at 3, dancing with my reflection in a window, spacing out etc) without anyone being the wiser.

2 comments:

J said...

I enjoy spacing out.

cc said...

Not so into wearing a slip as a dress?

heh.