Saturday, June 20, 2009

Beef Dip With a Side of Nostalgia c/o Exchequer

On Friday, after the pancakes, M. Lady and I hopped on the blue line and went to the loop. Our main purpose was to find me a dress, and M. Lady some shoes. I came to Chicago with a black dress entirely appropriate for a wedding, but I was hoping to find something better, especially with M. Lady by my side. You see, the girl has a way with knowing what looks good and what looks bad. She was integral, also, to my being dressed at C. and T.'s wedding.

We started at Macy's (formerly known as Marshall Fields) where we found one dress that could work, and bunch of others that were $400. We then went somewhere else. And then, maybe, somewhere else? At that point we were both hungry so we decided to do it up old school and have a meal at Exchequer.

Exchequer was a frequent haunt for those of us in the wine night/SAIC crew. It was near the building where all our classes were, and we frequently met up there after our afternoon/evening classes (for whatever reason, I think of Thursday as being a popular night). We ordered pitchers of beer and ate their wonderful french fries while talking about reading, writing, and everything else. So, returning with M. Lady, was fitting (I think we were both excited that the other thought it was a good idea to go). I had the beef dip and fries, which was good. It was always more about the people and booze than the food at Exchequer and the lunch confirmed this truth.

I thought if I searched 'Exchequer' in my blog a lot of posts would come up, but all the posts that did had no photographic proof of the frequency of our patronage. Makes me wonder if it really happened at all. Not really. It totally happened.

2 comments:

Caro said...

here's some proof that exchequer really happened: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewing/210949631/

cc said...

Wow, way to ratchet up the nostalgia to a dangerous level!