Monday, June 01, 2009

Meander

On Saturday I drove on down to Roark's Cove to meet up with my cousin and his wife. We were meeting up so's we could go to Greeter Falls for a little swimming. I got to their place early, knowing they were out buying a mower, and took a stroll around the property.
If apocalypse came, this is one spot I'd surely try to get to.
Again, my lack of gardening prowess does not make me a hater. The time H. and C. put into making their land so enviable is not lost on me. I wish I could say that I would be as active in landscaping any land I might purchase, but the truth is that would probably do the most rudimentary of planting, never put together a unified visual, olfactory and tactile experience. What? My problem is that if I see something pretty, I want to sit in it without having to maintain or support it.

Bumble, bumble.
I'm a little bummed about being in Tennessee now - as opposed to later in the summer - because I'm going to miss fresh corn and tomatoes. I'd cry about it, but look at all I get to see. I know when I'm lucky.

Things I have seen in my back yard or in others': at least three different kinds of wood peckers (big and pileated among them), blue tailed skinks, red finches, deer, one foxoyote, countless blue birds, terrifyingly large bugs, a hawk or falcon with black and white tail feathers, a shower spider, chipmunks, bluejays, birds with names I don't know etc.
After taking photographs, I plopped into a hammock and read a book (Richard Price's Freedomland...I've been reading this book for months, I can't not know how it ends, but I don't particularly care) in the sun until they arrived.

No comments: