Sunday, June 07, 2009

Pea Soup, Lasagna and Cobbler

On Wednesday J.D., my cousin and his wife came over for dinner. I tried making a soup from my mother's soup bible (seriously, this book has a jillion different soups!), combining an element from one recipe --arugula pesto-- with another recipe --cold pea soup-- this turned out really well. The pea soup was delicate in flavor, a little sweet, while the arugula pesto, with the earthiness of the arugula and the potency of garlic (and a little parmesan and pine nuts, of course) added a little punch and complexity to the dish.
For the lasagna, I made a meat sauce. I would have liked to make the same meat sauce as I made a few months back (lamb, chorizo, beef etc) but the grocery stores around these parts don't have ground lamb or chorizo, so I made due with hot italian sausage and ground beef. I also processed the ricotta with garlic and basil to give it a little more depth. Then I layered the hell out of the thing and stuck it in the oven. I also cobbled together a salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, onions from J.'s father in law and hearts of palm. A few days later I made a similar salad and used the left over pesto, mixed with white wine vinegar, as the dressing...that was a very good idea.
C. made a delicious cobbler with blackberries and pears, topped with whipped cream.
I gave all the lasagna away to my guests because I knew I had enough left over sauce and cheese to make another, smaller, dish, which I did the next day:
Mmmm.
Thanks to J.D., H. and C. for coming.

No comments: