Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Greeter Falls

We, three adults and three dogs, piled into my cousin's car and headed out to South Cumberland State Park. It's a little bit of a drive--45 minutes to an hour--but hoowhee, it's a pretty one. The walk to the falls isn't rigorous, though it is steep in parts. The dogs were particularly flummoxed by the spiral staircase that gets one from the top of a cliff type thing down to where the pool is. I am not afraid of heights, but this is not without a measure of ugh...The stairs are bolted into a rock and that is what is keeping them upright. A rock.
When we arrived there were a bunch of middle aged hikers/campers but the dogs cleared them out...not really, I think they left because they were done swimming.
This meant that, for a brief period, we had the falls and pool all to ourselves.
Lightning was not big on swimming, and found a way to get to the falls without getting overly wet.


This is me in front of the waterfall...the water falling feels like needles pounding onto your head and shoulders, but in a cool refreshing way.
Seriously, I would be the best otter ever. You give me a clam, I'll swim around on my back pawing at the thing.
All three dogs were pleased with the outing, I think.
Gorgeous. That's what this is.

4 comments:

Darts said...

wow! that looks great!

cc said...

no lie, it was
i want to go back right now

nc catherine said...

One of my most favorite spots on the planet. When I was a small child it was called Longs Mill and it took most of a day to drive past the not-so-thriving heart of Altamont, park at the old courthouse before it was torched, hike down a rutted weedy boggy buggy fire lane for what felt like 100 miles in the humid heat, then come out at one of the small shallow pools. Heaven. Altho the trip in landed you on exactly the other side of the creek from where you end up nowadays. When I went back as a really grown up grown up and sailed into the nice gravel parking lot and sashayed down a nicely maintained path I was dumbstuck. Still love that top pool for just lolling about.

And yes I am one of the reality challenged cousins who indeed jumped off the big fall. A long long long time ago. When I think about how totally STUPID that was I just shake my head and marvel! And I used to get the willies trying to climb down the then-rickety home made ladder, not the swell circular one that is there now. I always had a heart stopping moment when I had to turn and step off the edge of the rock and hope hope hope that my spooked feet found the top "rung" such as it was.

I am envious. Go again. Go until it is blase...nah that doesn't happen!

Anonymous said...

If I had found my cable for my camera to hook up to this computer, i would show you the "cascade" we saw at Chantilly yesterday. It is indeed laughable compared to, I still want to call it Foster Falls.