Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chronologically Enslaved

So there was definitely a bit of an event in my life these last few days that I would like to take a moment to discuss and relate to you the reader as well as myself...but I can't seem to get myself to do it until I take care of all the things that came before it. So that's what this post is going to be. First off a dinner at home: two hot dogs with Muenster cheese and sauteed green peppers.
Next a 'getting-to-know-you-lunch' c/o my employers at Brigid's. Fried fish (with a name like Mortola or Mortada but neither of those) with side salad, potatoes and vegetables...not overly impressive. The tomato sauce the fish was on was nice but the actual texture of the fish was less so. Eh.
Half and half mousse from the same place. Delightful at the time.
Another meet and greet function c/o work: raspberry bar and faux lassi c/o Mugshots. Pastry was decent, lassi was not Indian restaurant-y enough.

Beer c/o The Belgian Cafe. They have quite the extensive, and often expensive, list of beers. I had a Unibroue Apple (which reminded me of my Chicago trivia days and how much I'd like to start or become a member of another team...not that I was ever that good or anything) and then an Allagash White.

Friday a high school chum, J. was in the vicinity for his own college reunion. We met up near Suburban Station and walked down to South Street to meet up with A. and his friend for dinner. We first stopped in at Bob and Barbara's for PBRs. It wasn't crowded and didn't have lots of hipsters hanging about and it was cooler than outside. I was pleased.

Then we met up with A. and his friend and dined outside at Pico De Gallo. A. and I split a small pitcher of margaritas that I feel didn't have any tequila in them and tasted more like lemonade than anything else. Very good lemonade...but lemonade nonetheless. I had what was billed on the menu as a 'chille relleno burrito' but as I guess I had been warned was actually just a chille relleno. A good one that I liked very much absolutely drenched in cheese (which, considering what comes later may be silly) the rice and beans weren't all that impressive but I was happy overall. Though the first basket of chips we received were stale. A. had only positive things to say about his past experiences at the restaurant so perhaps I judge too soon.
The end.

2 comments:

J said...

I think Mexican food on the East Coast is supposed to be hit or miss. Most Mexican immigrants here came from one state which does not serve the kind of food American expect.

Philadelphia used to have a very small Mexican community, but this has changed a great deal over say the last ten years and now there are many good Mexican restaurants, I'd guess around South Philly.

What are they called? No idea, but keep at it!

Also, Philly has more Belgian beers than like any other city in the states and like three or four of the best Belgian beer bars, so if you like Belgian beer, that's awesome.

Sadly, I do not. So they are pretty worthless to me.

cc said...

I don't think this was trying to be Mexican Mexican...by that I mean that all the servers were white hipster chicks. I could be wrong. What do I know. Nothing. Chicago had a pretty thriving Mexican population and there were a few restaurants I never quite made it to (EL BARCO and its whole fried red snapper comes to mind)...I don't mind non-authentic Mexican food. I'm not sure I know enough to know the difference. Well, that is not entirely true. I have a sinking feeling that a true chille relleno would not be absolutely smothered in cheese. I feel that very few things in any culture other than the U.S.'s are smothered with cheese (case in point: Italian pizza...a far more delicate thing than what we have become accustomed to).

Long response. Sorry.

What's your problem with Belgian beers?