Saturday, January 13, 2007

And Now What You've All (or Just One of You) Have Been Waiting For

My last night before driving back up to Chicago (yes, Lola has been reborn!) was with the high school pal. It was rosemary lemon chicken with potatoes and green beans. It was good. I also tried some kind of creamy, Bailey's-like, African liqueur. And then, because the high school pal is a girl, I had a smirnoff ice. Just kidding, he's a boy.
This is a recreation of a photograph I wasn't quick enough to take and it's for Toby.

It was very nice to see the high school pal. I'm always happy and wary to see people from a bit of a time without seeing them. I'm afraid I won't have anything to say or that what they say will make me want to leave. But this seeing went quite well. In fact, I will quote the pal on this:

I think it's amazing how people stay the same as they grow. It's like a tree that keeps its basic form but get's thicker and puts on real bark. I'm not trying to say you are fat or thick skinned.

I totally agree with this, though he has gotten fat and thick skinned. That's also not true. But it's interesting, seeing people you have a history with but aren't exactly active parts of your current life. There's a certain level of inherent trust that allows you to talk about more than what it was like to be fifteen and in high school...though it's always fun to do a little of that as well. It's not playing catch up as much as it is simply enjoying the other's company. And I like that.

2 comments:

VeloVino said...

Amarula Cream? Made from Amarula fruit. Honest. I've seen them on trees and had one not fermented. They're kind of like kumquats(sp?).

Anonymous said...

It was indeed Amarula. Wow Velovino,you called that one.