Friday, June 06, 2008

One Step

I've also, in addition to thinking about 365 days in a row, been thinking about periods of transition. I don't have time, this morning, to get into the nitty gritty of it (though often enough I realize there isn't very much nitty gritty in my mind, just one or two main points) but it has not been an entirely smooth transition to Philadelphia. I keep on comparing it to the beginning of my time in Chicago and I feel that I am far less adventurous or sure of myself. There are a number of factors in this situation...1) Andersonville was such an obviously safe neighborhood I never worried about walking its streets alone, day or night....while in Philadelphia I'm simply unsure of where rough patches begin or end...I'm obviously in a good patch but I don't know enough not to worry/I've gotten to be an old fuddy duddy.
2) Work is not graduate school. The way you get to know one another is different. The shape of your days is far less flexible. Etc.

Point: On Monday I forced myself out of the apartment for one small goal...not to walk the city and learn it...just to get a library card. So I walked to Logan Square, took photographs of the fountain, then went and enabled myself the power of a good read.
Art museum in distance. Lookit: lots o' flags.

Getting the card helped. The apartment I'm subletting has a few books but none that jumped out at me. My first perusal of the Free Library's new fiction section was a rather successful one. I found a number of books I've been wanting to read but have never been able to remember the names of the authors or the titles when actually confronted with a library. Right now I'm reading Stewart (Stuart?) O'Nan's Last Night at the Lobster and fully enjoying it.

No comments: