Saturday, June 14, 2008

Gather Round

The last time I saw a number of the more distant cousins who gathered on Sunday was at a wedding of one of them. There was dancing at this wedding and weak fuzzy navels. Blood on Prada shoes and the funky chicken. And the kids, well, the kids were all much younger than they are now (strange how that happens). The oldest of the kids is now about 14, done with his freshmen year of high school. Though I can't say our families have been particularly close I have seen this kid a few times since his birth...and find it terrifying that I can vividly remember him being a little person and now he's taller than me. Yeah. I'm becoming someone who says "I remember when you were this small".
The taller of these two girls was a dance partner at the aforementioned wedding...a non-stop twirl requester. She, of course, has no memory of this.
Synchronized cousin throwings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch out Missy, pretty soon you will be the among the ones looked to for direction and so on. I have this crazy memory of being at Wet Cave the summer Mama died, and we were speculating about spelunking with some cousins, you and Mia may have even been in the mix, and young children of old friends. And we went in, and old sense memory kicked in and I had a vague idea of where we were and what to do next, and out of the darkness behind me came my sister's voice: You do realize don't you Catherine that we are now the Grown Ups for this escapade...Whoa. Betty and Kiffie of yore were now Catherine and Elizabeth of the then-present.

Yeah. The small ones grow up and we the big cousins all imagine ourselves to still be (fill in the age) when we were our finest. Me, that is like 33...

So yeah welcome to the grown up 'hood.

cc said...

I remember that adventure. I quickly realized that I didn't like the darkness in the cave and retreated back to the light. I haven't been into the cave since.

Anonymous said...

I am glad I had remembered that mostly correctly. I remember you having a broken collar bone from the too high too full of kids hammock at the reception, so I am thinking the spelunking happened later in the summer. And I don't think I have been back in there since then either. And the Empress here has NO desire nope none not a whit not a jot nor a tittle of a desire to go underground. Caving will not be a shared mom and daughter deal here!

cc said...

There you conflate two memories:

The broken collar incident was at your mother's funeral's after-party (so to speak) and it was a one child (me) one adult pusher (my father) situation.

cc said...

And we didn't know my collar bone was broken for weeks...or at least a week...long enough that it was figured out in Maryland, not Tennessee...not, I might add, by my doctor grandmother who, a bit churlishly (though her sister just died so I get it), said that if I could raise my hands above my head I was fine.

Well Granny...you were wrong.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm that is interesting about the hammock. I do recall a lot of kids at that after-thing, including the twins and some one else, all piled into the hammock, and I had recalled some one other than your dad doing the nearly-vertical pushing. Perhaps the pile of kids preceded the launching of you by your dad. Who knows. But yes I do remember Dr. Granny pooh poohing any idea of injury. So did you in fact spelunk broken???