Wednesday, June 18, 2008

One of My Favorite Things

I made a point of walking a mile and a half to get my Rita's fix earlier this week...or was it the weekend? Unclear. No, wait, week. I think. Mainly because I haven't been getting out much and even I think it's getting ridiculous. So I walked to a Rita's way farther away than technically necessary and got myself a mix of raspberry and lemonade water ice. Then I, with no shame, walked the streets of Philly with my Rita's cup and spoon, happily slurping. I did, actually, have a destination...Rittenhouse Square. There I sat and finished my ice. It was very hot and relatively pretty. I was happy to find that there were a number of benches sans homeless people, dudes 'jamming' and babies and I sat on one and finished my ice.
It does kind of seem like there are more homeless people in Philadelphia. I'm sure this is not the case. And I'm sure I'm an ass hole for even saying it. I'm just saying it anyways. More than where? Oh I don't know, Chicago? I don't know. I'm a bad liberal.

2 comments:

J said...

There may be, not sure, but it's more a visability thing, like NY has waaay more, but also had a creepy, get the homeless arrested for quality of life crimes policy, so you didn't see them as much as they were hidden away.

Now they are EVERYWHERE in NY, but again, the recession doesn't help.

No clue about Chicago though.

cc said...

Yeah, I guess I'm mainly noticing this when I hit the true boundaries of Center City...where, at any time of day, a whole entire park's benches will all have homeless men camped out on them.

Chicago didn't really have small parks prominently throughout its city...and you definitely saw them in the loop and by certain train stations and whatnot. It's not that they didn't exist, it's that they didn't congregate.

Or, they didn't congregate because there weren't as many of them? I don't know.