Monday, June 16, 2008

Ernie's Texas Lunch, The Real Deal

As I previously mentioned, my mother's family has been frequenting Ernie's Texas Lunch since before I was born. Back in the day I usually had a cheeseburger and soup. But some time between when Ernie's was a more regular part of my yearly life and, well, now? I developed a greater appreciation for a hotdog. The components of Ernie's Texas dog with that of the Chambersburg "Historic Texas Lunch" are similar: a dog, mustard, chili and chopped white onions. Where Ernie's pulls ahead, as my mother mentioned and I confirmed, is in the dog and bread department. Ernie's uses a more serious roll, a little heftier and of better quality. The same can be said for their dog. My mother's main complaint about Chambersburg's version was that it was just a regular hot dog...whereas Ernie's dogs are plumper, more flavorful and actually grilled. The grilling is key. Makes it better all around. Though I agree, Ernie's onions are kind of out of control. And, though I've come around to the whole hotdog world...I'm still not sure if I really need chili on my hotdog. Just not sure, folks, pretty unclear about the whole darn thing.
Ernie's does win though.

Oh and I've read a few books. You'll hear about them later, don't you worry.

No comments: