Sunday, June 29, 2008

Dinner c/o North 3rd

On Friday night I went to dinner with my friend L. and her beau. Originally it seemed like a few other friends of L. were going to come along but, in the end, they didn't...which made it seem a lot like I was the third wheel on someone else's date. Technically this wasn't true but you know how it can be. We went to North 3rd. There was a 20 minute wait for a table so we pulled up bar stools and ordered beers (or in L's case wine). Then, strangely, we were told that the stools we were using were actually reserved for some other guys so we had to stand in the middle of the bar area for the remaining wait. Weird. I ordered the gazpacho. The gazpacho came with a dollop of guacamole. It had a nice bite to it and, considering the relatively hot days we've been having, was nice and cool.
I debated ordering the crispy chicken sandwich or the pulled pork sandwich. L.'s beau was similarly minded. In the end we played rock paper scissors to determine who would get which sandwich. I lost the three rounds so I ended up with the crispy chicken sandwich. It, too, had guacamole which I didn't like. Not that the guacamole itself was bad but that it was on my sandwich. Oh yes and tomatoes and bacon. The chicken was nice and crispy and very moist in a way that I liked. The bread was nice too. The french fries were not so great. Maybe I'm losing my taste for french fries? Maybe Philadelphia restaurants have a different standard for what makes a good fry and it does not correlate with my own? Yes. Perhaps.
L. ordered the tuna burger and her beau had the pulled pork. I tasted the tuna and it was pretty good though maybe a little salty. Her beau mentioned that the pulled pork was definitely not up to a southerner's standards. The restaurant was dark and the music was a little on the loud side, making conversation a little difficult. The decorations were wacky and whatnot. I think I'd go back not on a Friday night. Was the food amazing? No. Sigh. It was highly functional food, not bad and not average just not wowza. I think I've lost my sense of food a little bit.

No comments: