Sunday, June 15, 2008

Drive

On Tuesday my mother left for the hospital a good hour before I did. I drove past a gas station with, comparatively, cheap gas prices so then I decided I should turn around and go get some of that liquid sterling platinum gold. This could have been easier than I made it. The thing is that when I'm in a pretty place all I want to do is drive down backroads. Difficult situations often stir up this inclination. So, though I could have just turned around in some stranger's driveway I decided to make a more circuitous drive back...I turned down a road that said "Land of the Mini-Horses x miles" and quickly found myself in a farmland environment that I loved...complete with huge tractor.
I did not, however, get all the way to the mini-horses before feeling guilty about a) wasting gas in an effort to get gas and b) not being at the hospital. The gas station, in the end, confused me (there were bags on all the pumps that suggested they were out of fuel yet signs that say PAY THEN PUMP) to such a degree that I didn't even get gas (which is such a typical cc move...I could tell you about my attempt to go to a PETCO yesterday with very similar results but I won't...right now). There were a number of landmarks on the drive between Gettysburg and Chambersburg that I would like, one day in the future, to investigate further. One is Mister Ed's Elephant Museum and Candy Emporium.
Another might be this huge array of junk...there's got to be a treasure in all of that shit, there's just got to be. Also there are a few state parks that look nice and a place with Furnaces in its title. Basically I'd like to go back when there's no medical emergency. Possible I think. I'll just need to find a partner or two in crime.

No comments: