Thursday, May 01, 2008

Breakfast c/o Kathy's Restaurant in Staunton, Virginia

Yesterday I made my way out of the hotel at a decent enough hour. I decided I might drive through the city of Staunton, proper since the hotel was right smack dab off the highway. I also needed to top off my gas for the remaining hours of the trip. I went to a gas station where I bought what has become my standard driving fuel: 1 bottle of V8 and 1 bottle of Vitamin Water with dragonfruit plus taurine. Then I asked the lady where I could get eggs. She suggested Kathy's Restaurant. The decor has changed since that website's photograph...instead of turquoise booths and stools its a red black motif. I decided I was going to go with my original stand-by breakfast: wheat toast, poached eggs and sausage links...with home fries. In the past I always asked for my eggs over-medium but I was feeling like a runnier egg, so I didn't specify anything...which I assumed would mean runny. In the end the sausage, which looks really unappealing, was the star of the meal while the eggs were a little disappointing. Their poaching method was flawed and the yolks were pretty firm with hardly any ooey gooey-ness to them. The potatoes were decent and the server was nice. Altogether nice. Just wish I had those runnier yolks...folks...ha!

The rest of the drive was quite easy. About 6 hours, maybe a little less, with no delays and rather pretty scenery. I like hills and mountains. You kind of forget what they do to a landscape when you've lived in Chicago for two and a half years. Driving north on I-81 is surprisingly picturesque. Lots of open land, rolling fields, barns etc. Of course, it's not completely untouched any more than any other place can be these days...but it's faring a bit better. So far.

5 comments:

m.lady said...

About the poll on the right over there...I think someone cheated and voted twice for "The Ambassador." I say this, because I don't think "The Ambassador" should win. I think "Iron Face" should win and maybe someone was fair and only voted once for "Iron Face" even though someone was tempted to vote many times for "Iron Face" because that is obviously the nickname that your car would like. Thank you. oh, and your haircut looks very pretty.

cc said...

Hmmm, pretty serious allegations M. Lady. And you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth in them. (were some truth in them?) I know for a fact that one reader, on the last poll, voted TWICE for the Mid-Hudson Valley region...so, actually, Philly landed a larger victory than the numbers suggested.

Duckie The Ambassador's street name can be Iron Face.

J said...

Damn, I didn't see there was a poll. I totally would have voted for Iron Face.

Can I still vote?

cc said...

Well, if we included Josh's vote then it would be a tie.

So then Duckie could be:

Duckie, Ambassador Iron Face.

I think it has quite a nice ring to it, actually.

m.lady said...

ok, Duckie Ambassador Iron Face works, it has a ring