Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Change Of Plans

Yesterday I had a foolproof plan: Leave J and J's, drive up to Newtown, Pennsylvania...have breakfast at Goodnoes Family Restaurant, buy a Rita's gelati and maybe stop by Tyler State Park. Well, if you click on the Goodnoes link you'll see what the first problem in my plan was...boo, changes, boo. Then it was too early for Rita's to be open. So, yeah, there's that. Instead I went with a slightly not as good plan B. There was a new Chick Fil-A that didn't exist during my time in the Newtown area (it's where I went to high school) and C, a while back, had said that Chick Fil-A made one hell of a moist sandwich. Since hearing C's opinion I've kept my eye out for a franchise location, and, finally, it seemed that it was time for me to have my own Chick Fil-A experience. I ordered the Chick Fil-A (I must say I think the name of this chain is stupid) sandwich and a small order of waffle fries. While paying in the drive thru the teenage girl serving me asked me if Duckie, Ambassador Iron Face was a Honda Fit...and he is...and she was all telling me how she wants one and I was all telling her how she should. Then I drove to Tyler State Park (which still exists and wasn't closed...at least that part of the plan worked) and went to the picnic area near the Boathouse.
Oh yes and I got a slurpee...just like in high school. It was magical, the slurpee...and listening to the 7-11 dudes discussing Val Kilmer's best role (Jim Morrison in The Doors) and their other favorite movies (Natural Born Killers...ugh). Oh, and P.S., remember when I got 100% of the notes correct on Weezer's My Name Is Jonas on Guitar Hero? Yeah, I do. The sandwich was a revelation after a lifelong appreciation (though not in recent years) of the McChicken sandwich. Yes, it was moist and seemed more like real chicken. I was surprised by the lack of condiments on the sandwich with the exception of a smattering of pickles. But it was flavorful even sans mayo or ranch or anything. The waffle fries were pretty good too.
My combination coke and cherry slurpee was great. As I was finishing it I got to overhear the most entertaining conversation between a father and son that I've ever heard:

I'm sitting there and I look up and over and see a tall man with shaved head, muscle clinging shirt and athletic work out pants on and he says:

"That's it, you're in time out. Go sit down right now."

Then here is a smattering of what followed. The kid was about five and had curly hair...once the conversation started I didn't look at them...I pretended to be engrossed with a) the creek and b) the slurpee.

Father: Do you know why you're in time out.
Son: No, why am I in time out?
Father: You knocked that little girl into the water. Why did you do that?
Son: When you fall into the water someone saves you.
Father: You don't push people into the water.
Son: Why?
Father: You just don't. What were you thinking?
Son: (and I should say that there was a lot more babbling and rambling then this dialogue suggests) I pushed her into the water so someone would save her. She can't swim.
Father: Are you sorry?
Son: Why should I be sorry?
Father: Because you knocked that little girl into the water....and she's still crying (in the background you can very clearly hear a little girl screaming her head off).
Son: Are you sorry? You gave me iced tea and it made me sick. Are you sorry daddy that you gave me iced tea and I got sick.
Father: You didn't get sick.
Son: I want a Pepsi, will you get me a Pepsi?
Father: No, you're in time out.
Son: Why am I in time out?
Father: Because you KNOCKED THAT LITTLE GIRL INTO THE WATER.
Son: When you fall into the water someone saves you. There are crocodiles in the water.
Father: You should never push anyone into the water. She couldn't swim. And there are no crocodiles in the water here.
Son: Yes there are, Pop Pop said so.

pause

Father: Well Pop Pop's full of poop.

Awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parenting, so NOT for the faint-hearted, weak-stomached or slow-witted.

Gotta love it, Pop Pop is full of poop.

And ya gotta worry about a boy, who at age five, has already figured out he has to manufacture a crisis in order to appear the hero and damn the consequences...

In case you are ever having a Chik-Fil-A fit on a Sunday, they ain't open. Just so you know. And if you ever want to open a C-F-A (hmmm reminds me of College of Fine Arts where I got a B-F-A), you cannot say you want to because you want to make money. Making money is anathema pure and simple anathema to those who own the whole enchilda and dole out their franchises one at a careful time.

Somehow I am thinking you and ownership of a fast food franchise are not in the same universe, much less the same sentence, but I hadda tell ya. Yep I did.

J said...

That is perhaps the best conversation ever.

Why did they tear down that awesome looking building? I didn't watch with the volume on.

cc said...

NC Catherine...I should be clear, the little boy wasn't interested in saving the little girl. Somebody would but he expressed no interest in being that person.

Josh...I don't know why they tore down the building, I didn't actually watch the video with volume or all the way through. I can tell you that there are a bunch of new stupid buildings being built where Goodnoes was and they're all fancy yuppie shmancy