Friday, May 02, 2008

Beer and Dinner c/o General Lafayette Inn and Brewery

I arrived safely in Philadelphia a little bit earlier than I expected...which was no big deal. I got to meet two more little guys and see their parents for the first time in, hmm, three + years. Wednesday night we all went out to dinner at General Lafayette Inn and Brewery. Other than our party of four (two people under 5 equal 1 person...except that, really, they're two people), the place was dead on a Wednesday night. Which was all for the better, it felt like we were somehow special. And it made the occasional toddler gripe no big thing. We ordered samplers of pretty much every beer they had on their beer menu. Eight or nine in all. My favorites, unsurprisingly, were not the stout or porter varieties...though even those I found a little more palatable than I often do. I was particularly taken with the Raspberry Meal Ale (because I'm a girl and girls like raspberries as a rule). The Matrimoniale was also nice. As was the Germantown Blonde. So, basically, I liked every thing. But not so much the Pale Ale nor the Chocolate Thunder Porter (rich and dark and, yes, a hint of chocolatey-ness). The La Tete Fontaine was pretty good for a dark ale.
I ordered the calamari appetizer with chipotle aioli. I think I may have suspected a smaller portion and lighter batter. But the batter wasn't that heavy and I guess bigger is always better? The aioli had a little spice to it but was definitely mayonnaisey.
I also ordered the Spinach Salad. Perfectly acceptable with olives, cherry tomatoes, hard boiled eggs and sheep's cheese. I think, if I were to go back, which I would, that I would order something more inn-y/pub-y. Like their meatloaf, hamburger or fish and chips. My friends, the grown ups, had-respectively- the lamb entree and gumbo and beet salad and quesadillas. The older of the tots had a grilled cheese and fries (I think? Am I making that up?). No complaints were voiced other than the fact that the gumbo was extremely non-gumbo like.
Thanks to my friends (and hosts) for taking me out and showing me a very good first meal in Philly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah me, now you are in PA. Other plans? How did the car behave? Duckie Ambassador Iron Face? So many names, gotta be southern! Ok so I am just checking in without really have any idea about what is what. If you get frazzled, come visit. You too can be leaped on by the super jumping Cyrus hound, ignored by the elderly cat (except when he wants a lap) and nudged into the next county by Clara the large leaning dog.

We are in fully tilt pre-summer mode! That might include some tubing when the water temperatures rise a bit, and some teacup boat sailing if the lake is not too chilly (in case I fall in..could happen). Hope things are going well...