Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Now That's A Sweet Tea

Before leaving Staunton I stopped for breakfast at Mrs. Rowe's (pronounced like the Pao in Kung Pao). I ordered myself sweet tea and it was pretty fantastic. I might be crazy but I really think they made it themselves.
On the menu they specified that eggs could be: poached, scrambled or fried. This excited me. I mean if it's actually in the menu then they must poach the eggs properly, riiight? Wrong. I was curious as to what "Pon Haus" was but didn't ask the question....turns out it's just another word for Scrapple.
I had two ersatz poached eggs (that were at least cooked properly) with fried green apples, home fries, sausage patties and home made white toast. The apples were sweeter than I expected, far more like a pie filling...not necessarily in a bad way but definitely in a surprising way. The bread was superior to normal breakfast toast. The potatoes were fine too. I did not eat all of it.
The restaurant itself was cute. Cute but not small. Seems there were secret rooms everywhere. I walked in the front door and was seated in a booth in an area with cut out windows on both sides, giving a sense of space and privacy at the same time. As I ate I witnessed nine million cops and cop-like people pay their bills while, at the table across from me, two state troopers ordered their own selves some fine sweet tea. I liked that most all the waitresses and workers I saw (with a few exceptions) were on the little old lady side of life.

No comments: