Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Another T Bone Jack's Dinner in Waynesboro, Virginia

On Monday morning I woke up and drugged my cat at seven in the morning. I then did as much as I could to make the house look nice (ie I went down my mother's checklist and did every single possible thing she suggested...or did I?) and gathered the remaining piles of my crap as best I could. We got off to a less than stellar start, in terms of time...we probably got on the highway around 9:30, central time...it would have been better to get off earlier...but then, it didn't matter that much either way. Traveling up 81 was pretty as always. Zul was quiet for the majority of the time...because of the drugs...and I listened to a lot of This American Life, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Fresh Air. Then we got to Staunton, Virginia. After giving Zul his necessaries, I drove and met up with my friend J. and her older son C. You may remember them from two or three weeks ago. We met at the same place simply because the internet in my hotel room wouldn't work, so I couldn't do any research on an alternative. Their Monday dinner special was "All You Can Enjoy Pork Ribs". Which led me to imagine this scenario:

Me: May I have another helping of ribs?
Waiter: Sure, hold on a few moments, they're made to order.
Me: Okay, Thanks.

A few moments after the ribs have arrived:

Waiter: How's everybody doing?
Me: Great.
Waiter: Really? Because you don't really look like you're enjoying them.
Me: Oh no I'm loving them.
Waiter: No, I don't think you are. In fact, you give me the rest of them. If you aren't enjoying the ribs you don't get to eat them, bitch.
Me: [sobbing]

That didn't happen though. And actually whatever my exact imagining at that time was, well, it was funnier than what I just wrote. Oh well. The ribs were good enough. The meat was definitely tender (you see that seemingly gnawed bone in the photograph?...it wasn't gnawed, it just fell off) but the sauce lacked a certain je ne sais quoi...specialness? I did ask for more and they did give me more but I couldn't eat that many more in the end.

No comments: