Saturday, May 31, 2008

Dinner c/o Cascade Lodge

Sunday I drove down to the Bethlehem, PA area to meet up with M., her boyfriend A. and her good friend A. Good friend A. was the third member of our 'grand tour' of Europe the year after my freshmen year of college, lo these many years ago. M. and I went to high school together and have continued to enjoy each other's company ever since. Our last meeting resulted in what still ranks as one of the best meals of my life. This time around we went to Cascade Lounge, the most unique of dining establishments.
This lady greeted us. This building is way old school but in all the right ways...strange photographs on the walls, piano bars on weekend nights (maybe all nights?) etc.
A spring runs through the bottom of the building and they keep a trout pool and keep live trout in a section of their cellar. If you order the trout (which the boyfriend A. and I decided to do) you can have the option of going down to the cellar and choose your own live trout! We ended up looking but not picking.
One large element of the Cascade Lounge experience is table side preparation of a number of their dishes. Caesar salad being one. On the menu they say it's prepared for two but three of us easily were satisfied by its portions.
Also tableside prepared was the trout. Look at that fire.
The trout was quite delicious, moist etc. The sauce was rich and creamy with an element of brandy (maybe?) and fennel...but you couldn't actually taste the fennel, which is just as well to me since I don't care for fennel.
A. the friend and I split a piece of delectable coconut cream pie. A. the boyfriend had a slice of cake...the name of which escapes me but it's rich, dark chocolate with a layer of apricot goodness. It was quite good, the bite I had.

No comments: