Monday, May 12, 2008

When Cracker Barrel Attacks

This is the bedroom I stayed in. Note the cinder block walls with orange stencilling...that matches the bedspread as well as the sink counter (you can't see the counter but you can trust me). Special.
Before I got on the road I thought I would have breakfast. I was still hankering for properly poached eggs and thought that Cracker Barrel might do right by me. They did right by me in terms of sweet tea...but that's all they did right.
I ordered one of their obscenely large combo breakfasts, planning on eating a little of everything without complete gorging. This, it turns out, was not even something I had to worry about. My eggs, which I requested soft, came rock hard...I made a polite fuss and they returned so runny that some of the white was still clear (yuck)...and, also, they were not properly poached. The sausage tasted like botulism. The hashbrown casserole was tepid. The gravy too thick and the grits too thin. The biscuits were okay.
I left with a desire to vomit. Not literally. Well yes and no to literally. What I felt like was this: I had just put a lot of things into my body without enjoying any of them. It seemed a waste of all things. I did not vomit.

No comments: