Wednesday, February 20, 2008

To The Dogs

Casper rarely hangs out in my bed. This is a rare occasion since, for the most part, we keep the door to the room I sleep in closed due to Casper's occasional habit of eating shoes. The infrequency of the dog in the bed is worth a photo shoot, I think. It's a wonderful bed. Technically an air mattress, it's a double and holds air like no air mattress I've ever met. For example the two (if not three?) air mattresses i slept on when I first arrived in Chicago before the ebf brought all our furniture into town. Seriously. I've been here what? Almost three weeks. And I've only brought out the air pumper pusher inner thing once for a mattress touch up. I cannot express my gratitude to T. and C. for their hospitality, friendship and choice of sleeping surfaces.


He does sometimes hold a pose.
So far I have applied to jobs in:
New York City
Morgantown, West Virginia
Block Island, Rhode Island
McAllen, Texas
Dunn, Georgia
Bethesda, Maryland
Ithaca, New York
Lakes Region, New Hampshire
Schnectady, New York
Brookline, Massachusetts (a assistant editor position with Cook's Illustrate/America's Test Kitchen....dream job!)
Somewhere near Atlanta, Georgia

And a number of other places that I can't quite recall because I applied more than a week or two ago. I am hoping, partially, to go southward to warmer climes. But as I told L. (my NYC hostess) my absolute inability to fathom living in NYC softened a bit after this last visit. I enjoyed seeing so many people I liked and I do get a little scared about moving to a small town where I know no one. The chances of finding a circle of friends or, gasp, a new relationship in these more rural settings is unlikely (but then, according to Sex & the City, it seems it's pretty hard to find someone in a city too).

So far not even a nibble. I know it takes time. I know I should have someone read my cover letter. I have not, as of yet, started to apply to jobs that I a) do not really want (well I did today but felt so defeated that I'm not going to do it again for another couple of days) or b) don't think I could actually get. This state of being picky can only go on so long. Anybody have any secret job data-bank sources to share with me? Now would totally be the time to share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally cute dog.

Re jobs: your job right now is to find a job. So apply to things you don't think you can get, just to stay in practice (writing awesome letters, tweaking your resume, googling who they are and what the want), and even to stuff you don't want. Get dressed, sit at a desk, compose your killer letters.

Then walk the dog, think about cooking, read a book.

The only way I stayed sane in my overlong employment hiatus...That and doing stupid stuff I always wanted to do (strip wallpaper, paint friends' living rooms, take el cheapo sailing lessons).

Don't let discouragement be the dominant internal theme. You are fabulous! A hell of a writer! A hell of a cook! A hell of a food writer!!!

We are waiting for "wintry mix" number three. Ice? Sleet? Rain? Drear and gloom? None? I am goofing off for my lunch time...