Friday, February 29, 2008

Argh!

A few weeks back a cousin of mine mentioned that this fellowship was about to created and offered to MFA students everywhere. I want it. But now that they've actually put up the requirements, well, I'm not qualified. One large reason I wanted it was because I want literary journal experience...and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get it...except that I have to already have it. I've found that this is a problem with a number of jobs I have applied for: they're basically entry-level except you need to have already entered.

Then there are the jobs I am qualified for that, still, I don't seem to be getting. I know it's a process and you have to keep keeping on but as time goes by I start applying to jobs that have nothing to do with writing which, by that very characteristic, will never lead to jobs that have something to do with writing. I've applied to be an alumni publications associate editor for Vassar College, a school I did not attend but spent a whole heck of time visiting....and I am totally qualified for the position and would actually enjoy the work and love the location but have little hope of actually being picked. I've applied to be entry-level editorial assistants at publishing houses in New York but I know that, even with my saying I already live in NYC, you need to know somebody to get into the final rounds. I have begun to look at admissions jobs at colleges in rural areas. My thinking goes like this: spend two years in the middle of nowhere with no friends (at least to start with she says hopefully?) and then have the qualifications to go to a more prominent school in a more interesting area. My logic is flawed somehow.

2 comments:

J said...

I'm going to graduate in May and am slowly starting to worry about finding a global affair job, so I can relate.

But really, you are doing everything right. Just keep applying to as many jobs as possible. Much like getting into college, it can be a crap-shoot.

cc said...

Do banks have global affiar jobs? Are you going to work in a think tank in an underground bunker in Beirut?