Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Andouille Omelette With Creole Sauce c/o Michael's Uptown Cafe

On Sunday T, C, and I went to Michael's Uptown Cafe for a late breakfast. Earlier in the week I had been perusing cursory Bloomington restaurant write-ups and this place caught my attention because it won somebody's best Bloomington breakfast award in 2003. A nice place, not too wide but long, with booths running along one wall then a fair amount of tables running parallel. There was a 20 minute wait so we went across the street to The Book Corner. They had a not so great selection of books but a pretty extensive collection of magazines. I was drawn to the Poets & Writers Magazine. Research for all sorts of jobs, contests, publications and fellowships live in between its covers. Now if only I can highlight all potential sources then google them before I turn 90. Eventually we did eat. I had the Andouille omelet with 'creole sauce'. In addition to the sausage there were mushrooms, cheese and green peppers. It wasn't bad but it wasn't extraordinary either. The creole sauce didn't have me feeling Creole and the egg was on the thin side.

If you go by Julia Child's definition of an omelette, then I'm right to take note of the thin eggness. If you don't then you probably would have been satisfied. Not all around bad, just not as good as one would hope for from a place that boasts best breakfasts. Though C's #2 (two eggs, choice of meat and hash browns) seemed to be exactly right. Basically I should go back to my old ways: 2 medium poached eggs, sausage links, wheat toast and hash browns if they have them included in the price.

No comments: